Thursday, March 20, 2008

Home!!!

So I am finally home for a much deserved three day weekend. I love long weekends.And I love being home, even though I completely adore my apartment, my amazing roomate, and living in the city. Before I headed back to the B dot, I spent some time with my dad at my grandpa's house(who is passed on). My family and I have been sorting, and cleaning out his house since his death in October. We are thinking that his house will be on the market sometime in the next two weeks, so my dad and I were cleaning the upstairs tonight. It felt so weird cleaning my grandparents house. The closets are now empty, everything is spotless. It felt weird, like they never lived there. But I kept feeling like they would be happy with what we have done with their beloved house.

Something kind of cool happened while we were there. My mom's mother, who passed away in 2001, loved the song ''I just called to say I love you'' by Stevie Wonder. When I was a kid, my mom (who was/is a tv producer) decided to make a video for her for her birthday, with all of her 9 grandchildren singing the song. The song has always had a special place in my heart, because it always seems to come on the radio when I have had a bad day and need a pick me up. So tonight my dad put on my grandparents old radio, and we were cleaning away, when the song came on the radio! It was great, because I hadn't heard it for a long time. When the song finished, the phone rang. It was perfect timing! haha. I picked up the phone said, ''hello?'' and no one was there. I don't know what that meant or if someone really was on the other line, but it gave me a chance to remember my grandma and have a laugh while I was at it.

On the drive home with my dad, we once again were listening to the radio. We had it on a radio station that had a show on called, ''Songs that are your guilty pleasures''. Some of the songs people were requesting were so funny. The song ''Barbie Girl'' came on, and I got sooooo into it and was singing away to it, while my dad was probably very scared. It was fun! Another song that was played was, '' Good Vibrations'' by Marky Mark!!!!!! My heart was content after hearing that. And I am currently listening to it as I write this. Got to love the oldies.

xo

2 comments:

Shop Girl* said...

I love how memories can be attached to pieces of music... for me, I can never sing Silent Night without thinking of my grandfather as it was his favourite song! Just like how "September" by Earth, Wind and Fire will for ever make me think of my mom dancing in the kitchen. :)

P.s. Any female that tries to deny loving Barbie Girl at some point in their past is lying. That was my grade 7 theme song. hahaha

The Brown Family said...

You are so cute I love your guts! Guess who I just talked to, JANE...my pigeon and pretty much i wish you both got together to share one phonecard so i could of talked to you both! I miss you and your fun you bring into everything when we're together :)